Church School Classes for Adults
FPC offers adults a multitude of choices for the 9:45 a.m. Sunday Church School hour. If you are not presently attending a class, consider visiting a few classes. You can choose one from the following:
- The Journey (Edge Building, Rm. 310) Mostly married couples with children (30s to early 40s) who enjoy a variety of study topics, and gather at other times for outreach and social opportunities.
- Inquirer's Class (Baucom Parlor, across from the Sanctuary) A class for new church members or for those interested in joining First Presbyterian. Sessions provide information about the church's history, beliefs, and mission and provide opportunities to meet members of the congregation and staff.
- Ed Greer Class (Edge Building Rm. 304) A study/discussion class that includes Bible study and elective study related to current issues.
- Faithbuilders (Stock Building, Rm. D206) A class that focuses on spiritual development and family issues, using a varied curriculum and other resources. Many of the members are parents of teens and young adults.
- Fides (Edge Building, Rm. 306) A discussion-oriented class focusing on building a sense of community and family with one another through the teachings of Jesus Christ.
- Phoenix Class (Edge Building, Rm. 314) This class is for singles and married couples in their late 20s to early 50s. The curriculum deals with current issues and biblical themes and is taught by a team of teachers. The text is usually a recently published scholarly study of a Christian theological topic that is selected because of its relevance to a contemporary audience. This class emphasizes discussion and encourages members to raise questions about each topic.
- Rick Brand Class (Stock Building, Rm. F119) This class is a group of mixed-age adults exploring the serious challenges of Christian living in a global, contemporary society. What lessons can we learn from our forerunners in the faith and from those who travel alongside us on life's journey? How can we be better, more faithful Christians? The teaching is facilitated by a group of educators and former educators, but a lot of the learning comes from the lively and spirited discussion by all members of the class. Recent topics have included Micah 6:6-8; John Calvin; Kings I & II; Christianity, Judaism and Islam; and spiritual growth.
- Seekers (Stock Building, Rm. D207) A class designed for in-depth Bible or book study with discussions taught by a team of teachers.
- Tom Albright Class (Stock Building, Rm. F111) A large class of adults with several teachers. This class studies biblical texts related to leading a Christian life and spiritual development.
- Vanguard Class (Vanguard Room, Sanctuary Building) A Bible-oriented class of men and women of all ages, focused on worship through song, scripture, Bible lecture, and discussion. The Uniform Lessons Series is used.
A few members of the former Koinonia Class, which has agreed to disband and to join other FPC classes, have published a history of this special class, which began formally meeting in 1945 as a class for young adults. Read their history to get a sense of how FPC Church School classes operate, and the types of things they have accomplished over many years.
Church School Classes for Children
During the regular worship service, children ages 5 and older who wish to attend Children's Church are escorted from the sanctuary by a teacher directly after the Children's Sermon. Their parents pick them up after the service.
Nursery and Preschool Division
A loving, safe, and age-appropriate environment welcomes our young children into our church family via our nursery. Paid staff assist volunteer leaders in providing activities and Christian learning opportunities and TLC. Children ages two to four hear, explore, and celebrate biblical stories about the life of Christ and key Bible characters. "Play'n-Worship" classroom materials are used for the older preschoolers.
Our Nursery and Preschool Division comprises the following age groups:
- Crib Babies
- 3- and 4-Year-Olds
Elementary-age children explore major biblical stories, events and characters and how those stories speak to their own lives. Creative activities such as art, drama, puppetry, music and writing involve the children in active learning. Teachers use "Live B.I.G!" (PCUSA) resources to structure the lessons.
Our Elementary Division comprises the following age groups, with classes available during the Church School hour (9:45-10:45 a.m.):
- Grades 1 and 2
- Grade 3
- Grades 4 and 5
Church School Classes for Youth
FPC considers ministries to children to be an essential part of the church's overall mission. A full-time staff member, Beth Thaxton, serves as Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries. Contact her for more information about Church School classes for children and youth, or to make suggestions.
The following Church School classes are available for youth during the Church School hour (9:45-10:45 a.m.):
- Grades 6 - 8: ( Stock Building, Rm. E205) This class follows the Covenant People Presbyterian Curriculum. Topics include living within a covenant, being disciples, baptism, communion, and many others.
- Grades 9 - 12: ( Stock Building, Rm. E206) This class studies various electives, each led by different teachers. Topics include "being Presbyterian", self-esteem, preparing for college and career, and many other areas of interest to this age group.
- Confirmation Class: ( Stock Building, Rm. D205) This class is an activity-based program exploring the student?s journey of faith and growth in Christ. Its purpose is to prepare our young people for their confirmation as full communing members of the church. Confirmation class is for 8th graders and up and runs from November through Palm Sunday.